This semester I
have learned so much about myself personally and as a teacher. I have found my
place and slowly am finding my teacher’s voice. I have found personal strength to push and get through
anything thing my students, parents, school or life presents to me. Along with
personal strengths, I have learned many things in theses area: viewing and
responding to art, developing art curriculum, teaching art, peer units review
and revised teaching portfolio.
Fall semester of
2012 has been one heck of a rollercoaster ride for me. I have experience things
that I wouldn’t wish on my worse enemies. Fighting through trauma, being a full
time student and working to support three households has shown me that I can
take on the world and if I put my mind to it then I’m going to do it. This was
proven during my Tiger Artist teaching day. I had worked all night, got off at
7 am, made it to campus to help set up for the students and then taught along
side my co-teachers. By the time the students left I wouldn’t have slept for
almost 16 hours but it was completely worth it. Being with the students made me
feel like I had slept for days, I had energy to share. That’s the moment I knew
I wanted to be a teacher. Being with the students changed my whole day and gave
me the best high I could have ever asked for. Being able to push through this
moment proves that I have the strength to deal with whatever my students,
parents or school administration throws at me. No matter how hard it has been
this semester I want nothing more then to be an amazing teacher and change as
many lives as I can.
In regards to the
technically things I have learn this semester my favorite was viewing and
responding to art. This has always been my favorite part of art and has become
my favorite part of teaching. I believe that students cannot make mindful art
without knowing where art has been and where it is going. Student’s art is
meaning full because of the piece of them that is placed in the art but mindful
art needs to be rooted in past art and moving forward with art. I have learned
skills to help students talk about art such as VTS, showing videos to help
students connect art with other things and using discussion question to guide
mindful thinking about art. These
things helped me plan my art curriculum perfectly.
Having so many
examples of good unit plans guided me in creating my own unit plan with ease. I
used the many things I learned about viewing and responding to art to create
the many class discussion presented in my unit plan. During this semester I
have taken a in-depth look at the show-me state standards, GLE’s and personal
goals for student. Doing this helped me develop my unit plan and made it
something I am passionate about and dear to my heart. I learned the
technicalities of creating a lesson plan because of my tiger artist lesson
plan. Having a group of experience teachers point things out in our tiger
artist lesson plan helped me remember the things that needed to be corrected or
addressed in my personal unit plan. Also having everyone get open constructive
criticism helped me not make the same mistakes in this unit plan.
Creating this
lesson plan is only the first step to teaching art. I learned many things about
teaching art from my host teacher during my field experience at Paxton Keeley.
Mrs. Stoddart was an excellent host and taught me more things then I bargained
for. She modeled what an organized, well-managed and creative classroom looked
like. From time to time she would tell me little things that she changed from
her first year of teaching. Even thought I wasn’t able to write down the advice
but the things she had to say still rings through my mind. I will not forget anything
she has told me. Organization and small pieces of advices were not the only
thing my host teacher gave me this semester. She also, through watching her
teach her own classes, showed me different way on how to explain complicated
ideas or techniques to students. For an example, when the students were
learning how to make facial figures for their famous Missourian project she
showed the students the students basic shapes to create the eyes, nose and
mouth of the human face. She used a two-finger method to create the small
triangle that the students used for the nose. I was tested in my ability to pay
attention and if I really understood what she was showing the students when she
asked me to show three students who were behind how to do the facial figures on
their Missourian. This moment was an important moment for me. Even with all the
teaching advice I have gotten I was extremely nervous about teaching on my own
(and I still am just a little less now) so need less to say I almost cried when
she asked me to show the students what to do. I took a deep breath and tried to
remember every step she showed the students and assisted the students with
their project. When she came to look at their work she said it was good and
only had a few things she wanted to change. This made me proud and gave me the
courage that I was looking for. This is when I started to find that teacher’s
voice.
Along with the
many lessons and opportunities to learn what good teaching looks like, what a
lesson plan entails, and how to connect with students the best learning
opportunities started in my classroom. For both the Tiger Artist lesson plan
and our personal unit plan we did peer reviews in the classroom. This help
tremendously because I was able to see what other future teachers were thinking
and what they would change if it was them creating the lesson. This made me
feel a sense of community and showed me what it meant to explain yourself to
someone who isn’t already in your head but is trying to find a place to access
it. I got amazing feed back and thought about things that I never even noticed
before. Along with getting amazing advice I also was able to get great lesson
ideas. Teaching is just like art. Artist borrow things from each other and
revamp it to make it their own, this is the same for teachers. There are so
many lesson that I can’t wait to revamp and use with my students and this has
only been made possible because of the teaching community this class has given
me.
I never created a
teaching portfolio before so doing it this semester was rewarding and quite an
experience. I didn’t realize how much work I did this semester until I filled
up almost 100 plastic protection sheets with information on what I have learned
and did this semester. I was able to see were I grew, were I have stayed the
same and the things I didn’t even realized I did or knew. I cant wait to take a
second look at my portfolio at the end of next semester to see the leaps and
bonds I have made. Even thought it took a lot of time and was hard work I
enjoyed it. I’ve even been thinking of taking a second look at it during break
to add things that I have missed or wish I would have added (I say this because
I’m realizing more and more about myself as a teacher since I have a clearer
head and more thinking time).
I didn’t not know
why on earth I wanted to be a teacher, I remember saying “I can’t be a teacher
because I don’t want to deal with no one else kids” but the truth is all I want
to do now is teach. I persuaded a degree in teaching because I know as long as
I have a teaching certificate I will find a job. Working and money was the only
thing on my mind because I was being told that only having an undergraduate
degree in fine art would not make me enough money to survive and create a
different life for myself. But as I started to do field experiences, learn what
it means to be a good teacher, and grow a bond with the other future teachers
that were in my class I realized I wanted not more then to become a teacher. My
focus about teaching was no longer on me and the idea that I couldn’t deal with
children but placed on the fact that students need good, hard working teachers.
There is a group of students waiting for me and I waiting on them so we can
change each other’s lives. I realized this semester that as teachers we are
nothing without our students! I already love all my future students and can’t wait
to meet them, they mean the world to me and I will do anything to be the
amazing teacher they deserve.
No comments:
Post a Comment