Sunday, December 16, 2012

Big Idea Pages: artist pages







These are the pages I used to honor my the artist that I chose to honor in my book. Rashida Ferdinand is a vessel artist, within these vessels or on top of the vessel there are faces hiding or emerging. I didn't have to do much of a concept map to find my artist. I typed in google vessel artist and she was the first artist that came up. It was love at first sight. While reading her artist statement she talked about the process being spiritual and that faces representing spirits that are involved in this spiritual experience. The vessels are spirtiual vessels and shows the body of the faces as an object, like something you would use to pray to. The faces bring serenity and meaning to the abstracted objects. This is what my big idea book was to me. I allowed myself to work through the idea of secrets and work on each page as a spiritual experience. I didn't plan any page I just sat down and pumped them out. Even though these pages don't contain any of my secrets for real but the process was the same, as if i was writing in my journal and releasing the thoughts in my head or images that are trapped up there. I folded the pages into small triangles to make the viewer have to work to get to the produce. The process of making the images did not take much work. I just used printed pictures and wrote on them with a sharpie but the process of writing my views or feeling about the art was the process that was a spiritual experience for me.         

No comments:

Post a Comment