Saturday, September 8, 2012

Art21: Stories: Kara Walker



First I would ask a few questions on storytelling. What is storytelling? How are stories told? How does art and storytelling intermix? After some brainstorming we would watch the ar21 episode on stories. After the video we will have an open discussion about the artist presented and answer the previous questions again. I would show more work from Kara Walker. Then it would be time for the students to get in a group to brainstorm about how they would tell a story through art? What would it look like? What story would they tell? And so on.

I’m not sure what the actually project would be but I know for sure I would want a lot of open discussion on art and how that and the theme worked together and how it was done so it gives my students a place to start and create their own stories. I would also like to have an ending discussion or critique to see if we answered the questions presented in the earlier discussion. What are the new ways students told their story? What worked and what didn’t work? As you can see I’m big on discussion about art!


2 comments:

  1. You could also ask : How are stories told visually? How do we read stories visually? How are visual symbols read? What does sequencing mean to the telling of the story? How do different cultures tell stories, or read them differently?

    You could ask students to tell their own story in a single image, tell a family or cultural story visually, retell a story in the public domain such as all the retelling of Snow White in the movies right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please upload a photo of your journey piece and a description of its meaning. Also you need to upload photos of your Big Idea Book and pages 1 and 2.

    ReplyDelete